The galaxy’s most gorgeous film locations required very few special effects; take a look at a few incredible filming locations from the Star Wars saga!
1. Thirlmere in the Lake District – The Force Awakens
The Lake District appeared as the planet of Takodana in The Force Awakens, and the amazing sequence of X-Wing fighters swooping low over the water was filmed in the lovely Lake District setting of the Thirlmere reservoir.
2. Canary Wharf Tube Station, London – Rogue One
A small part of the action-packed climax on Scarif was captured at the futuristic Jubilee Line tube station in London. The crew descended at night and left as early-morning commuters arrived!
3. Mount Etna, Sicily – Revenge of the Sith
Filmmakers travelled to Sicily to capture footage from the erupting volcano, which was then used in the epic duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.
4. Lake Como, Italy – Attack of the Clones
The wedding of Anakin and Padme was filmed at the stunning Villa Balbianello in Italy. The gardens are open to the public from March until November.
5. Puzzlewood, Gloucestershire – The Force Awakens
The evil Kylo Ren chased new hero Rey through the tangled woods of Takodana in Episode VII – actually the unusual Puzzlewood in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire.
6. The Royal Palace of Caserta, Naples, Italy – The Phantom Menace
The grandiose Baroque palace in Naples was the setting for Queen Amidala’s royal abode in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
7. Grindelwald, the Swiss Alps – Revenge of the Sith
The Swiss Alps were used as the backdrop of Alderaan in Star Wars Episode III.
8. Skellig Michael, Ireland – The Force Awakens
Luke Skywalker’s hiding place in Episode VII was revealed to be the incredible Skellig Islands off the Iveragh peninsula in County Kerry.
9. Malin Head, Donegal, Ireland – The Last Jedi
The Jedi’s Irish adventure now includes the most northerly point of the Wild Atlantic Way. The crew built a replica of the Millennium Falcon on a cliff edge, and Luke Skywalker, Rey and Kylo Ren all appeared in scenes – with the veteran Jedi stopping by the local pub. Maybe that’s why he disappeared for so long?