- Roald Dahl’s City of the Unexpected, Cardiff, 17-18 September. A cast of thousands are set to transform the centre of Cardiff, Dahl’s hometown, to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of his birth. Expect incredible sights, performances, pop-ups and spectacle, culminating in an evening finale! http://cityoftheunexpected.wales/
- Enchanted Forest, Pitlochry, Scotland. 29 September-30 October. This award winning multi-sensory show offers a magical tour of Faskally Wood with stunning light and sound. The theme of this year’s show is ‘Shimmer!’ and is bound to sell out so get your tickets bought soon! http://www.enchantedforest.org.uk/.
- The Windsor Festival, Windsor Castle, Berkshire. 18 September- 2 October. One of the UK’s most stunning celebrations of music and culture in the stunning environs of the largest inhabited castle in the world (and reputedly, the Queen’s favourite!). Enjoy talks, walks, food and more. http://www.windsorfestival.com/
Christie’s summer residence (cottages.com ref. NT012044)
- Agatha Christie Festival, Torquay, Thursday 15 September. This annual celebration of the ‘Queen of Crime’ – with tea and tours, talks, readings and more – takes place on the writer’s birthday. 2016 is also a special year as it marks 100 years since the publication of her first novel! Celebrate in style by staying at her summer home in Devon with the National Trust and cottages.com. http://www.agathachristiefestival.com/.
- Jane Austen Festival, 9-18 September, Bath. Commencing with the stunning Grand Regency Costumed Promenade – with hundreds of participants in period finery – this celebration of Austen is comprised of walks, talks, workshops, concerts and more all taking place in the beautifully ornate streets of Bath. http://www.janeaustenfestivalbath.co.uk/.
- Wales International Balloon Festival, Llangollen, 17-18 September. The inaugural Wales International Balloon Festival Great Balloon Race is just one of many airborne attractions colouring the skies over Llangollen in September. Other activities include the Red Devils parachute display team, fireworks and a host of activities on land! http://walesinternationalballoonfestival.co.uk/.
- Aldeburgh Food and Drink Festival, Suffolk. 24-25 September. Taking place near the stunning Suffolk coast, this celebration of local food and drink boasts a stunning setting to complement its fantastic food and drink! Enjoy free children’s activities, hands on cooking workshops and feasting on Suffolk’s finest produce. http://www.aldeburghfoodanddrink.co.uk/the-festival
- Spirit of Speyside: Distilled, Elgin Town Hall. 9-11 September. The world’s best whisky distillers united under one roof for the very first time! Alongside some amazing drams, enjoy coffee, chocolate and much more! http://distilled.scot/
- Newquay Fish Festival, 16-18 September. Celebrating the Cornish coast and seaside heritage of Newquay, this annual celebration of seafood offers bands, choirs, singers, dancers and pirates to perfectly complement the fantastic food and drink. http://www.newquayfishfestival.co.uk/.
- Bestival, Isle of Wight. 8-11 September. 2016’s instalment of the award-winning boutique music festival promises performances from The Cure, Major Lazer, Hot Chip, Fatboy Slim and more. We still have availability on the Isle of Wight for Bestival weekend, so you can sleep in a comfortable bed and enjoy your own shower too! http://www.bestival.net/.