- Get the right tools. Creating your own kit is easy. You just need a stick for turning things over, a net for picking things up or rinsing the sand away and small bottles or containers for keeping fragile items in.
- Start with the high water line. But remember to look everywhere – you never know what you might be missing!
- Examine everything closely. Objects are not always as they appear – driftwood and seaweed may have a treasure hiding it in, a bottle could have a note inside!
- Always check for writing and markings – you may be able to track the owner.
- Be patient. It may take a little while so be sure to walk for 30mins – 1 hour before you expect to find anything.
Being out there on the beach, please take into account some safety tips:
- We recommend that you wear sensible footwear
- Keep an eye on the tide
- Beware of slippery or loose rocks
- Wear sunscreen!
- Stay clear of unstable cliffs
- Beware of suspicious objects particularly anything metal or glass